Monday, July 7, 2014

Homeschool!

So this year, I have decided to homeschool my kids.  There are many reasons why, but here are a few:

1)  Common Core.  Need I say more?  What a mess!
2)  Negative influence from other kids.  Not that I think other kids are bad, but I have put a lot of effort into bringing up my kids right.  I've noticed when they're in school, a lot of behavior rubs off on them, and when breaks come, it takes a few days to get "my" kids back.  Not to mention, they've learned things at school I wish they hadn't.  Not all socialization is good socialization, and in school, because they experience very little adult interaction, they learn most of their social skills from other kids.
3)  When you homeschool, you are able to easily and completely customize your child's curriculum. 
4)  We recently learned my son has autism.  He struggles in school with other kids making fun of him, excluding him because he's "weird," and he has trouble being in a regular classroom.  When he's at home and has a patient parent teaching him, he does much better at maintaining focus.  Not to mention, when he's home, his behavior is just better. 

I can't wait to get going with school!  I'm both excited and scared.  Actually, I'm really scared.  I suppose those typical parent worries are amplified right now because of this decision.  The "what ifs" are there and they are unrelenting.  "What if I miss something?" is a big one for me.  I just have to trust in myself, know that I can do this, and that my kids will be better off for it. 

I've decided to use the Easy Peasy homeschool program as a guide.  Will I follow it 100%?  I dunno, probably not.  However, I know it will help me to make sure they are learning what they should.  And it's FREE.

If you'd like to check it out, you can go to http://allinonehomeschool.com/

Do any of you homeschool?  Any advice for me?  What programs do you use?

No comments:

Post a Comment